Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Elements of Mercy

The grace or favor of God sent salvation to us all. But it also teaches us some important elements of sober and godly living.

"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world" (Titus 2:11-12)

First, we must deny ungodliness. However, before we can deny it, we must understand what constitutes ungodliness. It comes from a Greek word meaning irreverent, impious, or wicked. In order to live godly lives in the grace of God, we must deny ungodliness and flee from it.

Second, we must deny worldly lusts. However, again, before we can deny the worldly lusts, we need to understand what they are. It speaks of longing for those things which are forbidden, things unclean, things that have no part in the life of a child of God.

Denying ungodliness and worldly lusts is never easy. It takes consistency without compromise as we pursue sober, righteous, and godly living.

Three important words to remember . . . soberly, righteously, and godly.

Use your personal time of reflection and prayer today to consider your life. How do you measure up? Are you pursuing godliness? Are you denying ungodliness and worldly lusts? Be honest in your self-examination and listen to the voice of the Spirit as He draws you to repentance and teaches you the importance of sober and godly living for the glory of God

Father, as I consider this, I find that I am in need once again of Your grace. Forgive me, Lord, for I am weak. Teach me to be sober, righteous, and godly so that You might be glorified in me and through me. Father, I love You and choose to pursue godliness in every area of my life; I need Your help! In Jesus' name, amen and amen!

© Jan Ross
All Rights Reserved

No comments: